February 23, 2009

I really need to do something...


Do you ever feel like there just isn't enough hours in one day for you to do every thing on your "to-do" list? How about feeling as if you just can't keep up? Well, I am quilty on both of those questions. I have always been a very organized person. I love making "to-do" list because it makes me feel as if I accomplish a whole lot more. And when I don't get to do everything on my "to-do" list I stressed and complaint to Danny about it. I have thought of getting rid of making "to-do" list but it didn't work out. I don't really know if it's a habit or just all in my head but I love making "to-do" list and I am hoping that if I persist on doing so it would work out. Between school, work, family, church, and such there is no way that I can meet deadlines, pay bills on time, and things of that nature without any kind of reminders. So what do I do?

Well, I remembered last semester in one of my classes in school we learn about being "efficiently" with time versus being "effectively" with time. Being "Effectively" with time means that you spend time on important matters and not just urgent matters. I think this is my main problem. I pack my day with "urgent" matters and I don't have time for the "important" things in life. Since this is my biggest problem, I will work on including more "important" things on my "to-do" list for this week and see if it makes any differences.

What is "important"?
-anything that produces a desired result for example, attending the temple, calling my parents, etc...

What is "Urgent"?
-anything that demand immediate attention, for example answering my phone, responding to emails, etc...

Okay, I think I will try it out this week and see.

5 comments:

jennsekona said...

i love to make "to do" lists, i even make them for sipa -lol! i have to, if i don't make a list, nothing gets done cause i sit around and try to remember what i actually need to do instead of doing anything!

laninaki said...

I'm like you, Vika, I love making to-do lists and crossing things off. I even use online tools and have them linked to my phone/iPod. It's insane. I like what you've said about important vs urgent. Great advice!

mary said...

i know what you mean vika. i have to try that too!

Inouyes said...

I love this blog. I totally understand where you are coming from I am a "TO-DO List" Addict I think its ok to be that way you feel like your life does go a little smoother with everything that happens around you. My husband has been telling me for the past 7 years to just go with the flow (boo!) which won't ever fly 95% of the time but, it does put things into perspective as to "What is important?" and to "What is urgent?" This is a good test I think for all of us Thanks for sharing:)

Unknown said...

Wow... you took the words right out of my mouth. I am constantly just trying to keep up with the urgent things. You totally inspired me to make my own list and work on it better.
By the way, I read somewhere that the there is a part in the brain that is where we organize our "to do" lists and it has been found that the woman's develops much larger than the man's. That would explain why women are constantly making lists and trying to organize things.